3/06/2006

Things I like about Japan, continued

...Adding to the list of things I like about Japan, at #7, Japanese salons.

This weekend I got straight perm in my curly hair. Getting a haircut in Japan is one of the things that makes me appreciate the attention to detail that the Japanese have. A typical haircut will last 2-3 hours and include a massage, all for around $40. My perm took longer and was a bit more expensive, but still. Ever since I got my hair cut back home over Chistmas break, I have an even higher appreciation for Japanese salons.

------------------

Although I love Japanese salons, I don't like some of the prep work involved in going to one--things like memorizong how to say "Please don't thin my hair" or finding a picture of the cut I want because I can' relate it to them in Japanese. So, while I was home (in the US) I decided to get a long over-due haircut simply because it would be easier there.

I called up a place I used to go to somewhat frequently when I was living at home. Just a standard, mid-range salon. I noticed things had changed as soon as I walked through the door. I was the youngest person there by about 30 years, and the only one whose hair wasn't in some form of gray, permed 'fro. I was a little concerned--when I used to go there, there were usually other young customers as well as young hairdressers. I reminded myself that it was the middle of the day and as such the clientele was more likely to be composed of retired people than of younger, working-age people.

I decided not to worry about it, sat down, and began flipping through a copy of Vogue. Lost in glossy pictures of beautiful people, I didn't notice my hairdresser as he approached. He was close enough to startle me when he started to speak.

"Hi my name's Leo and I'll be cutting your hair today."

Leo stood just a few inches taller than me. My eyes immediately focused on his hair--a medium-length strawberry blonde mullet. As my eyes scanned down, I noticed he was wearing a pair of acid wash jeans. I wanted to run. Anyone who cannot properly style his own hair should not be let near mine. But I decided this would be rude and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I followed him to his station in the back corner of the salon. The girl whose hair he had just cut was leaving. Her hair looked ok and she seemed pleased, so I started to relax a little.

"How would you like your hair cut today?"

I noted a slight mid-western accent. My hair is curly and notoriously difficult to style. What I wanted was a simple trim in the back and something more interesting in the front. Some people might use the term "layers" to describe what I wanted, but I specifically avoided this phraseology as apparently "layers" means "the Jennifer Aniston haircut" in haircutter speak. There's nothing wrong with Jennifer Aniston's hair-au contraire-but having curly hair means that anything cut too short or too layer-y will make me look like a lion with an enormous brown mane. So I told him vaguely what I wanted without using the l-word.

As he washed and cut my hair, we engaged in the usual salon conversation. Things were going relatively well. Then while styling my hair, Leo delivered two successive blows.

"You look dorky with that middle part. Let's part it on the side."

Did a middle-aged man sporting a mullet and acid washed jeans just refer to my appearance as "dorky"? A new all-time low.

After getting rid of the offending part, he stepped aside so that I could see myself in the mirror for the first time.

"I've given you some layers in the front. Now you'll look just like Jennifer Aniston."

My face contorted and a single tear rolled down my cheek. The mane was already beginning to form. I'm pretty sure Jennifer Aniston doesn't have a mane.

"That's a really popular haircut now."

Yes, if by now you mean 1995.

-------------

And so the moral of this story is, don't take the easy road. Even if it means learning a few new words, it's better to have your hair done by a 25 year-old Japanese girl than a 40 year-old American man.

1 Comments:

Blogger NinaSama said...

You're the first person to address a problem I've been wondering about for a long time now. I'm planning to go to Japan (one day...soon) and I too have really curly hair. I recently decided to get it cut short and I really love it but that means I have to get it cut more often. I thought this would be impossible in Japan. No one has curly hair!!! I saw someone with "waves" (at best) and they called it curls! But if you say that they know what their doing, well, it brings me new hope :)

Then again, it might be the salon you went to as well. I'll have to check things out and take the risk. I think it's worth it. Better than taking a plane back to the states.

3/08/2006 10:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home